Pages

7.04.2011

grateful to live in America.

Last week, I was driving home with Hannah from the store and they started playing the National Anthem by Martina McBride on the radio.  My windows were rolled down and I turned it up loud!  I got thinking about how it may have felt to be there with Francis Scott Key watching the battle from a ship deck and seeing through the smoke and "the dawn's early light" the magnificent American flag waving like a beacon of hope and reassurance.  With my thoughts and the music, I was suddenly struck with emotion and gratefulness to have the blessing of living here in this beautiful, unique, land of liberty.  I'm grateful that I can have the freedom to roll down my car window and play the National Anthem as loud as I want to!  

I grateful that I was born to live in the land of the free.  I'm grateful that I can pursue dreams large and small.  I'm grateful for those who give their lives and and daily comforts to serve our country so willingly.  I am grateful that I can worship God freely and share my beliefs.  I am grateful that I can make my own choices.  I am grateful that I have been able to learn about the history which our country stands on.  I'm grateful for those who have gone before and sacrificed so much to give this country Independence.  

I am grateful and proud to be an American.  

"'Tis the star-spangled banner - O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."

1 comment:

MindySue said...

I love our national anthem, but I always get choked up on the other verses, especially the part that says "Oh thus be it ever when free man shall stand between their loved homes and the wars desolation..." I get such an strong image of men fighting to protect their homes and families from harm that I can't help but get misty-eyed. Thanks for this post!