Pages

8.19.2010

pertussis vaccine.

I'm not talking about infant vaccinations.

I'm talking about the Adult Pertussis Vaccine.  The TDap booster.  As soon as Hannah is done nursing, I am going to get the vaccine. 

Over this past year, I have been following Natalie Norton's blog.  She is a relative of a friend and I normally follow her for her photography.  In December of last year her sweet son Gavin contracted pertussis (whooping cough).  He passed away on January 7th, he was 10 weeks old.

He did not die because HE wasn't vaccinated (he was still to young to receive it)... 

...Did you know that as an adult YOU can carry pertussis and give it to an infant without even knowing that you have it?  Pertussis may not do much to you...

...but, it can be fatal for an infant.

So, please, get your Adult Tdap booster.

To learn more about this click the following:


(I don't really know why I haven't posted this sooner...it is so important.  I should have months ago, however, hopefully I can still help prevent the spread.)

8 comments:

a farmers wife and her real life said...

Thanks for posting this...such good information for those who don't know already :)

And just an FYI, I got mine a couple days after I had Briana so I was already nursing...so maybe you can get it even though you're still nursing. But what do I know...I'm not a doctor ;)

Tanya said...

wow that is so sad, I had no idea adults could get pertussis! That's probably something I should look into!

Trapper and Suzy said...

I'm convinced. I'll ask my doctor about that next time.

Ashley said...

good idea... you kind of forget when you are older than you can still get vaccines. We still need them too, right?!?! Thanks for the reminder.

Brianna Tuckett said...

I have been seeing commercials about this very thing and have decided that I want my vaccine. I think its a good thing to be aware of and so preventalbe!

The Beck Bunch said...

I got mine about 6 weeks ago! I had a feeling after they asked me if I wanted it during a biggest loser weigh in. Better be safe than sorry!

The Beck Bunch said...

PS. I got whooping cough from my brother who brought in home from school when I was a baby. Siblings need to have it done too!

TT, Buzz and Kids said...

Did they not offer it after you had your little one? At the hospital I had Aurianna at they asked if I wanted it and of course I responded yes. I was breastfeeding her then.
I was reading up on it and the hospitals recommend you get it after giving birth, even if you are breastfeeding. So I would check into that.